Friday, 24 March 2017

Top 5 Comfort Movies

Hi everyone!
For the non-bookish top 5 this week, I really wanted to talk to you all about my favourite movies - the one's that I have and will continue to re-watch over and over again. They are my comfort movies and I love them all to death. I actually had no trouble picking the top 5 today because these are truly my favourites.



We of course have the 2005 version of Pride and Prejudice starring Keira Knightley on this list. Despite my lack of romantic relationships, I definitely think I'm a bit of a romantic at heart and I adore movies like this. It basically combines all my favourite things: a historical setting with a fantastic love story. It's cute and makes me laugh and I just have a great time whenever I watch it. The soundtrack is gorgeous and I think all the cast is amazing. Love love love!



This one is a little bit different to all the other movies on this list - it's a kids movie. But the first Narnia movie, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe is so heartwarming and lovely. It's a beautiful fantasy world that lets you escape for a while, and it's so great. It's got a good battle in it, so it's not all super sweet, and this is all around a really great kids fantasy movie that is definitely a comfort movie for me.

Sweet Home Alabama, starring Reese Witherspoon has been a firm favourite of mine since I was about 11 or 12. I used to watch it with Mum occasionally and I really love it. It's about a girl (or woman really), Melanie, from a small town in Alabama who moves to New York to pursue fashion. She leaves behind an old love and when she goes back for a visit before she gets married everything gets dramatic and just makes my heart squee (I'm sorry there was no better word for it). I still love it today and I've watched it so many times it is not even funny.







I think this one, Dirty Dancing, is my favourite movie of all time. I know - that's a big statement to make because there are a lot of great movies out there. But I really do think this one tops it. Good girl meets bad(ish) boy, which I know is so stereotypical but it really works in this one, combined with the dancing it is just too good. I don't know, I just feel like I can identify with Baby at times and I really really love this movie (I want to see the stage show so bad too!)
And finally, we have Brooklyn which stars Saoirse Ronan. This is definitely a more recent favourite than the rest but has nevertheless firmly earned its spot on this list. The first time I watched this movie (and read the book) I did not really understand the main character, Ellis', actions but the more I watch it the more I get it and completely empathise with her. She's an Irish girl in the 50s who moves to New York to find work. She's in a strange place living a mundane life and she struggles. I don't know why I connect with this so much but I do and I really love this movie. It is slow moving, so not to everyone's taste, but I love it and can see myself re-watching this movie for many years to come.





And there we have it - my Top 5 Comfort Movies/All Time Favourites. I really adore all these movies so much and I would love to hear if any of you have watched them and what your favourite comfort movies are.
Tynnika