Friday, 17 February 2017

Top 5 Books I'm Thankful For

Hi everyone!

I know, I know, it's only the second installment of Top 5 Friday's and I'm already late. But in my defense I've had a super crazy week with work, catching up with friends before uni goes back, and buying my first car (!!). But I'm here now and I wanted to share with you all this week my Top 5 Books I'm Thankful For. There were so many to choose from but I think I have narrowed it down pretty well!




One of the first books is, of course, Heidi by Johanna Spyri. No list of mine would ever be complete without mentioning this one! Heidi was a book I first read when I was quite young and it is still honestly my favourite book. It's a story about a girl who goes to live with her recluse Grandfather in the Swiss Alps and it is just such a delightful book. I really really love it.







I can hardly believe now that when Mum first showed me the Famous Five books by Enid Blyton I was super skeptical to read them! I think maybe it was because they were older? I don't know, but I gave in and I am so glad these books (and many many others by Enid Blyton) were a part of my childhood. They opened up worlds and adventures I had never read about before and you can bet that when I have kids I'll be reading them these. Five Get Into A Fix (no. 17) is in the picture as well because that was the first one I ever read and it will always be special for that reason.







Harry Potter by J K Rowlingwas another obvious choice for a list on books I am thankful for. It is a book series that impacted my life in so many ways - even though I read it after the craze over it had died down. I'm sure you don't need to me to talk about the plot (who hasn't heard of Harry Potter?) but it is a heartwarming and heartbreaking story that teaches you about the meaning of love, true friendship, and how not everyone is black and white. Definitely give this series a read - I am so so thankful for it.






I'm a lover of history and I have been for a long time, but I don't think I ever read a "proper" historical fiction novel until The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. It was a book that made me cry and laugh and it is so beautifully written you cannot help but fall in love with the characters and the story. A book like this makes you think, seriously think, about the world around you and the impact that these major historical events had on the lives of ordinary people. I can appreciate this is a work of fiction, but it makes you think more about history than the facts and events and dates that you learn in class and I am so thankful to this book for introducing me to a whole new genre of reading.






I had quite the obsession with horses and as such I read every horse book available to me (think The Saddle Club type stuff). Because of that, Black Beauty by Anna Sewell was my first ever classic novel. I originally read an abridged version when I was super young, but since then I've been back and read the original several times over. I would highly recommend this one if you want to start on classics but don't want anything to heavy. This is an absolute delight! (A little sad too though, just a warning).





And there we have it everyone - the Top 5 Books I'm Thankful For. What books are you glad that you have read during your life?
Tynnika